My Story

I am spending the spring semester in Denia, Spain. I will be taking five classes at the local University. Follow the blog to find out what is going on in my life :)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fun times in Spain :)

A few more pictures ~
Another beautiful view from the castle


Grandma and I were trying to stay out of the wind.  I'm pretty sure I told her the story here of my friend Sarah Kok who, wherever we go that's historical she slams my head against the wall and says "Put your face on history!!"  :)

This is the train station in Denia where you can go anywhere along the coast from Denia to Alicante (down south). 

Some typical buildings and the tourist Denia shop where my Dad got the English newpaper circulated in Denia. 

It was amazing to have my Dad and Grandma come visit me in Spain!!!  I loved spending time with and showing them Spain!  On Sunday that first day Maite and I went to pick up my Dad and Grandma in the airport.  They wouldn't let us meet them at baggage claim but there was a little hole in the paper covering the doors that we could look through and wave at them!  I had a huge smile on my face all morning!  We did a little walking through Valencia (where they flew into) and ate lunch outside which was very nice.  After taking the two hour bus ride around countless round abouts we went to our house so that Dad and Grandma could rest a bit and see where I live.  Then came all of the amazing goodies that my Dad and Mom sent from home including friendship bread and special k squares that I shared (encouraged by my Dad :) with my classmates, cheese-it's, leggings, a little blue clutch purse from my Mom for valentine's day and lots of great movies from my Dad!  That night we went to mass with Maite.  Later Maite told me that they were they first family (in twenty some years) to go to mass with her.  As soon as she saw my Dad kneel on the kneeler, she knew that he was a good and Christian man.  She loved my Dad and Grandma and they loved her as well!  On Monday I went to school and met my Dad and Grandma after to go visit the flea market that evidently does not stay open as long as I thought so it was a bit like a gold rush ghost town - everyone packing up and leaving.  But they did get to see a couple of the stands with lots of purses, shoes, clothes, and stuff.  Monday at 2:30 we had lunch with Maite at home.  She made them cheese and ham appetizers, meat, salad, bread, fruit, and I can't even remember what else but we were stuffed after!  All very good.  Then my Dad and Grandma got to experience one of my favorite parts of Spain - the siesta!  We took a nap :)  Good times!  Later we walked to the sandy beach and then spent some time talking at the hotel :)  On Tuesday we went to Benidorm a large town about an hour south of Denia.  It has an amazing beach.  We had lunch there and then walked around, shopped a bit and saw the beach!  On Wed. in between classes Dad came to the school and we had "cafe" with my teacher (even though none of us had coffee - Diet Coke for my Dad and me :)  After school we again had lunch with Maite.  Delicious again and very filling!  Then we went to visit the castle of Denia.  It was interesting and fun but very windy!  Since we were a bit chilled and windblown, I suggested that we go to Valor – a chocolate churros shop / restaurant.  Ah!!  Delicious!  I let Maite order the chorros and they brought out a tower of them!  They were delicious especially dipped in the vat of melted chocolate we got as well!  After my Dad and I ran to the grocery store to grab some cheese, crackers and a pizza baguette for me we went back to the hotel, ate dinner, talked and played garbage rum!  (A card game).  On Thursday Dad and I had breakfast together in the hotel dining room before I got a massage in the hotel spa!  Amazing!  Sort of different as the lady did not leave the room for me to change before she started the massage – but I suppose as there are many topless sun bathers here that is normal . . .  very relaxing though and after I felt like a new person!  When I came upstairs where my Dad was using my computer, there was a whole team of bike racers sitting in the lobby with him in full racing outfits!  After my one class on Thursday we ate lunch at a restaurant by the bus station.  The waiter noticed that we were Americans and offered to bring us a selection of tapas which ended up being very good!  They included cod croquets, bread with a tomato sauce, a fish platter and a vegetable platter.  Afterwards we went to the mall (to which you need to take a 20 minute bus) and shopped a bit.  My Dad said it was interesting to see the popular styles in Spain.  It was very fun and he bought me some clothes that will hopefully not shout American as my jeans and t-shirts so often do.  On that note – I have been really enjoying my new clothes and since it has been in the 70’s I have been wearing some skirts as well and am enjoying blending in a bit more.  Although I definitely stood out today when it was in the 70’s and sunny and I was wearing a jean skirt, flip flops and a pink shirt and everyone else was in boots and winter coats!  After the mall we went home, got some dinner again at the grocery store, packed up, and then played some more cards.  We got a grand total of 2.5 hours of sleep before we met the taxi driver at 3:30 the next morning.  The flights home were all good so I hear and now they are safely home.  I had an amazing time and would love to have more visitors :)

I finally figured out how to watch NCIS online since hulu doesn’t work abroad!  My linguistics independent study class finally passed through and I will be starting a study on the languages and different linguistic aspects of Spain soon!  On Monday I started my ethnographic study at a Christian school here – Alpha and Omega, also the protestant church that I attend.  I am observing / helping in a second grade class room.  The kids are absolutely adorable!!  I helped them color, learn some English and play outside.  I arrived early and sat outside at a picnic table with one of my friend’s mama’s who works there (she was supervising recess).  A few first graders ran up to talk to her and one little girl looked at me with surprised happiness and gave me a huge hug!  Then she asked “quien es?” “who are you?”  Ah!  She was so cute!  It is a 30 minute walk up to the school but it is well worth it as the kids are a blast to be around!  The teacher I am working with is from Michigan!  It’s a small world! 

On Thursday we leave as a big group for Toledo, Madrid and Segovia.  It should be a blast and I will have pictures and blogs about it when I get back next week.  I hope everyone is doing well at home!  Xoxo, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment